Reverend Cyril Zupan, O. S. B.

The earliest photos of Holy Rosary Parish show a distinguished, earnest-looking priest with spectacles, a beard and a ring of white hair around his balding head. The Reverend Cyril Zupan, O. S. B. was the man the building committee asked to help organize the new parish. Father Cyril was well-known to the Slovenians and Croatians in Globeville. Like them, he was an immigrant from the old Austrian empire and had been traveling to their community several times a year to conduct marriages, funerals, and hear confessions.  Father Cyril also had some experience in building a parish, having transformed a former broom factory in Pueblo to St. Mary’s Church and School in 1895.

In September 1918, Father Cyril accepted the enormous challenge of building the new church while still serving his parish in Pueblo, making the two-hour trip each week by train. Holy Rosary was completed on February 20, 1920 and the church dedicated on July 4, 1920. After Holy Rosary was firmly established, Father Cyril returned full time to St. Mary’s in Pueblo and the Reverend John J. Judnic continued as his successor.

Even today, Father Cyril is remembered for …”his humility, zeal, prudent advice and wise spiritual direction.” [quote from Holy Rosary 25th anniversary booklet]

Las primeras fotos del Santo Rosario Parroquia de mostrar un distinguido sacerdote de aspecto serio con gafas, barba y un anillo de el pelo blanco alrededor de su cabeza calva. El reverendo Cyril Zupan, OSB fue el hombre que el comité de construcción pidió que ayudara a organizar la nueva parroquia. Al igual que ellos, fue un inmigrante del imperio austríaco de edad y había estado viajando a sus tiempos de la comunidad varias veces al año para llevar a cabo matrimonios, funerales, y oír confesiones. Padre Cirilo también tenía algo de experiencia en la construcción de una parroquia, después de haber transformado una antigua fábrica de escobas en Pueblo a la Iglesia de Santa María y la Escuela en 1895.

En septiembre de 1918, el Padre Cirilo aceptó el enorme desafío de construir la nueva iglesia sin dejar de servir a su parroquia en Pueblo, por lo que el viaje de dos horas cada semana en tren. Santo Rosario, se completó el 20 de febrero de 1920 y la iglesia dedicada el 4 de julio de 1920. Después del Santo Rosario estaba firmemente establecida, el Padre Cirilo regresó a tiempo completo a la St. Mary’s en Pueblo y el reverendo John J. Judnic continuó como su sucesor.

Incluso hoy en día, el Padre Cirilo es recordado por … “su dirección espiritual humildad, asesoramiento celo, prudente y sabio”. [cita del Santo Rosario 25o aniversario folleto]

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Catholic, Church, Croatian, founders, Globeville, history, Slovenian and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.